Ken Rosa is the art teacher at P.S. 38 and the husband of Debbie Grundzlweick. Whenever Nate chooses his favorite teacher, he always chooses Mr. Rosa. This is mostly because Mr. Rosa most of the time is too burned out to teach "real" subjects. Mr. Rosa was one of the major characters back in the 1990s in Big Nate comics. Nate has got detention several times from Mr. Rosa, but he has never given any to anyone else. He was Nate's homeroom teacher at first, but Nate was moved to Mrs. Godfrey's homeroom later on. Mr. Rosa has given Nate detention only once in the novel, Big Nate: In a Class by Himself.
Personality and Traits
Nate describes Ken as a "too burned-out teacher, and does not care about what his students do". It is shown that he makes them work on "special projects" often though. He likes Nate as only a small friend although most of the time he is annoyed with Nate.
Ken Rosa was born in a small town in the Midwest. He drew his first crayon drawing when he was only 3 and got his first paint set when he was 6. His turning point in life was when he visited an art museum. Since then, he's always wanted to be a famous artist. He failed at many subjects, and he even flunked out of dental school. So, he eventually got a Master's degree in art and taught the subject in P.S. 38. He is also to be said to have 3 bachelor's degrees as well as a master's.
Ken Rosa is Nate's favorite schoolteacher. According to Nate, Rosa has never given him a detention slip except for the time when he broke the lock to the display case. Nate excels in Rosa's subject, which is art, and the two are generally on friendly terms with each other. Nate also claims that it's common knowledge that he is Mr. Rosa's favorite student, to which Rosa responded, "It is?"
Mrs. Godfrey and Mr. Rosa used to be enemies. However, they are now pretty friendly to each other, with Mrs. Godfrey even helping Mr. Rosa once when his back went out.
Debbie Grundzlweick is Mr. Rosa's wife.
- He was the first ever teacher to appear in a Big Nate comic. His first appearance was January 24, 1991.
- He has a Master's Degree and 3 Bachelor Degrees as well.
- He has been teaching students at P.S 38 for a very long time. In a comic strip, a young man with his wife spotted Mr. Rosa working at the ice cream shop called Sweet Licks and said that Mr. Rosa taught him when he was a kid. Mr. Rosa then thought "I should have flunked that little [CENSORED] the first chance I got."
- His summer job is at an ice cream shop.
- He really wanted to be an artist, and he even had his own art show.
- He is the manager of P.S 38's chess club.
- Nate once did a survey with the students in school about who is the most liked teacher, and Mr. Rosa came last. Mr. Granger came first, and Mr Rosa said "Mr. Granger?! Granger the Stranger?!"
- Once, Mr. Rosa hanged his own paintings in his room to inspire his students. It failed, however, when Nate thought one of the paintings looked like a painting made by a monkey that he saw on "Oprah".
- The janitor once told Nate that he gets paid more than Mr. Rosa.
- Mr. Rosa has also once lead Nate's junior woodchucks on a camping trip in the woods only to get lost.
- Mr. Rosa has lead the student's of Nate's class on a trip to Washington D.C when Mrs. Godfrey couldn't make it in time. He has also led the students on an overnight chess tournament.
- He is pretty positive about things, such as when Nate was sleeping during his oral report and when Francis, Teddy, and Artur all went on a triple date.
- He likes to keep his door open and is an "approachable teacher".
- He hides candy (Sno-Caps) in his desk.
- He once got mad and yelled at Nate Wright And Teddy Ortiz for not washing their hands after putting glue all over them.
- He is good at basketball, stating that he played in the Second Team All-State in 1974.
- Once, Nate came in and started talking non-stop and asked Mr. Rosa what he likes most about being an artist. He replies “The solitude.”