Chad Applewhite is one of Nate's best friends as a major character and a student at P.S. 38. Chad is a short, chubby kid, with red hair and freckles. Chad likes most kinds of food and admits to having a sweet tooth. He shows his love for eating quite often. Despite loving food, he still plays sports, and is even on Nate's baseball, soccer, and basketball teams, but these are the only sports that he is known to play besides Fleeceball.
Nate accidentally called Chad Todd in Big Nate: In A Class By Himself.
Chad Applewhite was on Nate's Fleeceball team. After the Kuddle Kittens claimed their victory over all the other teams including Randy's team, the Raptors, Chad suggests they write a story about it, which Nate does.
Shortly afterward, Chad was in the Timber Scout group which Nate is also in. He also starred in the "Peter Pan" play as Michael. During this, he accidentally smashes into a wall, nearly destroying the set for good.
Passage to Jefferson
Chad is a member of the P.S. 38 Cartooning Club along with Nate, Francis, Teddy, Artur and Dee Dee. He and the cartooning club figure out ways to beat Jefferson Middle School together. He also breaks his tailbone, prompting the doctor to give him a tailbone pillow. When Nolan attempts to steal it, Nate fights him for it and breaks his dominant wrist in the process.
Chad makes a minor appearance in this book. He is seen partaking in the Trivia Contest with Nate, Francis, Teddy, and Dee Dee. He specializes in asking questions concerning meals. His list of specialties includes all three meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
In Nate's posse
For the first time, Chad is shown to have a crush on Maya. At one point, Chad is bullied by Marcus, who calls him "Superchunk" hoping to show to everyone how sixth graders are "totally lame". He later raced with Maya and against Goode and Jacob, winning the event. Afterward, he joined Nate's group of friends. He once again assisted his friends to win a scavenger hunt at P.S. 38's centennial.
- He has an obsession with eating and food.
- At one point, he is said to be the smallest kid in the entire school. But now he is no longer the smallest kid in school ever since Breckenridge moved back to P.S. 38. (Breckenridge is noticeably shorter than Chad).
- Until Chad first appeared, Nate was the shortest kid at P.S 38.
- In Big Nate: Goes For Broke, he breaks his tailbone after slipping on ice.
- Chad's doctor's name is Dr. Krensky. He is the one who gave Chad his inflatable donut when he bruised his tailbone to take the pressure off the tailbone.
- In Big Nate: Flips Out, it is revealed he is afraid of snakes, clowns, and yogurt. On October 6, 2018, it is also revealed that he is afraid of soccer balls (maybe why Chad was never shown on the soccer team) and college.
- Also, in Big Nate Flips Out, Chad is in the Trivia Slam on Francis' Factoids.
- It is seen that Chad's mother is very protective of her son.
- He has never been mad, except in Big Nate In The Zone when Marcus was making fun of him for his chubbiness.
- He has a pet hamster named Flora as said in "Big Nate: Lives It Up".