Big Nate Flips Out is the 5th installment of the Big Nate novel series that was released February 5th, 2013.
Nate gets Francis to co-edit the Chronicle (yearbook) so Gina won't screw it up. Things take a turn when Nate's sloppiness causes him to lose the camera for the Chronicle, getting Francis in trouble and breaking their friendship. Now, Teddy and Dee Dee get Teddy's Uncle Pedro to hypnotize Nate into becoming neater in order to reunite their friendship and to find the camera. But will it work, or cause Nate to flip out??
Nate is searching through his messy locker when Francis comes over and tells him he's the messiest kid at P.S. 38. Nate replies by telling him it's not his fault for being unorganized. He describes to the readers about his friendship with Francis, and his "neat" personality. Nate, Francis and their friend Teddy are walking down the corridor to science class. Mr. Galvin hands out the marked homework assignments. He tells Nate that his homework is the messiest out of all the other students, and that it must be rewritten with no sloppy handwritting, no food stains, and no cartoons.
After Science, Nate and his friends stumble across a notice for the Chronicle meeting. They reminisce about how last year's chronicle went downhill because of Nick Blonsky, who was the editor of the Chronicle. They are shocked to find out that this year's chronicle editor is none other than Nate's rival, Gina. Another description is made to the readers of Gina's obnoxiousity. To avoid Gina being made "queen of the yearbook", Nate nominates Francis as a co-editor, much to her dismay and Mrs. Hickson's approval. Nate is soon told off by Mrs. Hickson for ruining a book he took out from the library.
- This novel marks the first major appearance of Nick Blonsky and the second major appearance of Dee Dee.
- When Nate cleans and organizes his locker, one of the things he finds is the head of a lawn gnome. This is a reference to Big Nate On A Roll when he accidently decapitates a lawn gnome when trying to earn money.
- It is seen that Nate has made a new comic series " The adventures of Luke Warm, private eye".
- Uncle Pedro seems to have very many skills, ( Ex: small engine repairing, hypnosis, music lessons, and card tricks).
- This book was more criticized than the others: for more cliché humor, a rushed ending, predictable plot, etc.
- Both Francis' and Nate's gr. 3 secrets were revealed in Big Nate Out Loud , but comics don't relate with the books.
- This is one of the few times fighting is a main part. The first time was in Big Nate Strikes Again when his rival Gina has a fight leading her to detention.
- This book seems to focus more on Nate and Francis.