Big Nate Flips Out is the 5th installment of the Big Nate novel series that was released February 5th, 2013.
Nate gets Francis to co-edit the Chronicle (yearbook) so Gina won't screw it up. Things take a turn when Nate's sloppiness causes him to lose the camera for the Chronicle, getting Francis in trouble and breaking their friendship. Now, Teddy and Dee Dee get Teddy's Uncle Pedro to hypnotize Nate into becoming neater in order to reunite their friendship and to find the camera. But will it work, or cause Nate to flip out??
- This novel marks the first major appearance of Nick Blonsky and the second major appearance of Dee Dee.
- When Nate cleans and organizes his locker, one of the things he finds is the head of a lawn gnome. This is a reference to Big Nate On A Roll when he accidently decapitates a lawn gnome when trying to earn money.
- It is seen that Nate has made a new comic series " The adventures of Luke Warm, private eye".
- Uncle Pedro seems to have very many skills, ( Ex: small engine repairing, hypnosis, music lessons, and card tricks).
- This book was more criticized than the others: for more cliché humor, a rushed ending, predictable plot, etc.
- Both Francis' and Nate's gr. 3 secrets were revealed in Big Nate Out Loud , but comics don't relate with the books.
- This is one of the few times fighting is a main part. The first time was in Big Nate Strikes Again when his rival Gina has a fight leading her to detention.